Thursday, April 16, 2009

To No Longer Remember...

And, I will remember their sin no more. (Jeremiah 31:34)

As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he
removed our sins from us. (Psalms 103:12)

To no longer remember......sometimes that's a trait that
we lament having, once we hit 50. I always had such a
good memory and it's very frustrating to not be able to
remember something. However, I've been considering
just the opposite the past week.

I can remember when my firstborn scribbled on the walls
with a crayon. I scrubbed and scrubbed, but it wasn't
long until he was doing it again. I can still remember it
and trying to reason with him. I guess that memory
stayed in the back of my mind. Just last summer, we
all had so much fun on the beach and the kids built
sand castles and left their hand prints. The tide soon
smoothed it all away, but the memory of those times still
remain.

I use that analogy to explain what I'm feeling about the
loss of my beloved pet. I think I figured out why the loss
is so hard on us. With a mother, father, sister, brother,
wife, husband, son, or daughter; we can love them more
than life, but we are all still human. We make mistakes.
We hurt feelings. We say or do something wrong. And
while we might forgive, it is hard to forget and those
memories stay in the recesses of our minds. With a dog,
there aren't any of those memories. Just pure, unconditional
love and devotion. My dog followed me EVERY step I took.
If I got up at 3am, he was right beside me. If I was cooking,
he was at my feet right by the hot stove. If I was sick, he
was right by me on the recliner and would occasionally turn
around and kiss me. I don't have anything but good memories.
I never dreamed that you could mourn like this for a dog.
My heart actually feels like it's broken.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could be like God? He not only
forgives us, but develops amnesia about our sins. Amazingly,
He who numbers the hairs on our heads, forgets our sin forever.

I wish I could forget wrongs committed BY me and to me. That
would be a welcome ability and save us all so much hurt and
wasted energy. Something to think about..........................

In the April 20th edition of TIME, I read the following:
"With his credo that government was the problem, not
the answer, Ronald Reagan wrote the script for the collapse
we're facing." It goes on to say that MANY readers blamed
the financial crisis on rising deregulation and Reagan. This
was a theory I had longed argued with my brother. Nice to
see I'm not alone. Of course, Bush expounded on it and
bankrupted the country with his rush to a foolish war.

And finally...... Sam Flanary. Loved his letter to the editor in
our little weekly paper. So well written and expressing the
exact thoughts and feelings that I've been hearing around
town for months and months. BRAVO, Sam. Yours was a
welcome voice. God Bless You.


No comments:

Post a Comment